Saturday 31 March 2018

Ladies Wine & Design

This blog post outlines proffesional engagement at Ladies Wine & Design 
_________________________________________________________________














In relation to my previous thoughts surrounding the lack of female design remodels and women in higher places, I decided to attend the Leeds 'Ladies Wine & Design' event. Originally being set up by Jessica Walsh the event helps support women within the creative industry promoting mentorship circles, portfolio reviews, and creative meet-ups.

Unfortunately, none of my female friends were able to attend the event due to prior commitments, this leaving myself with concerns over engagement and whether the pre-existing collective would be 'clicky'. Overcoming my apprehension I decided to attend the event and found that all the issues I had previously been concerned over were not apparent, with myself finding the event extremely friendly. Attending the event on my own actually became a positive aspect of the evening as it pushed me to further engage with others, much more so than if I had attended the event with my peers.

The variety of individuals at the event also allowed myself to gain an overview of job prosperity after university, with many creatives suggesting that they had an ordinary job once leaving university and completed freelance work on the side. This made me question whether my original ideas surrounding job employability after university were unrealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment