Sunday 22 January 2017

Making a terrarium

Over instagram there are multiple trends in which occur, but one particular is that of cacti. From scrolling down my timeline and seeing multiple designs, I became highly interested in getting some plants myself in order to make my uni home feel more than just a room in a house. Rather than just purchase a generic cactus, I decided to look at terrariums as I feel that they appear more of a focal point. Before buying the glass terrarium research was undergone into price and styles available. Also the health of the plants was considered.








It was decided that a geometric terrarium would be most effective for the purpose in which I want it to fulfil. It was also discovered that not having a large gap at the top of the terrarium means that a greenhouse effect is developed, ensuring the cacti survive.






 Cactus and succulents were selected in which I found suiting, and complement one another. The chosen glass terrarium cost around £20, which isn't very expensive compared that is reusable, and may last for many years. Specific cactus soil was also used as they are used to highly dry environments. One issue with the design of the terrarium is that when holding cactus they are obviously prickly and thus the small gap often leaves you get spiked. As a result of this if I were to buy a similar product I would much more likely get one with an open top.


No comments:

Post a Comment