Tuesday 8 March 2016

Book of ethics (design)

Thinking specifically about the expression of ethics, I began to research illustrations in which may appear minimally upon the books cover. As I personal enjoy illustrating I feel that this would be a good way in which to express this within my practice.



Minimal image and text approaches can look extremely effective when composition is widely considered. Negative space allows the design to appear interesting as the eye much reconsider after viewing part of the page.




As my business cards have been screen printed this may also be an approach in which would work effectively upon the books cover, in order to give it an extra design dimension.  The above image explores the overlaying natures of colour, something in which I may do if screen printed.


The light bulb approach is obvious but effective approach as it not only suggests ideas, but also wasted energy a factor in which I has been considered under environmental ethics. Maybe a design in which involves this would appear effective.






As ideas are often refered to as 'light bulb momemnts' I decided to follow this sentiment within my book of ethics. As there are now restrictions on lightbulbs in which you can buy (in an attempt to protect the environment) I felt this to be an influencing factor, as maybe one day my designs could be involved with a similar action. I explored with lightbulb imagery involving both ordinary and light saving designs. I felt that these designs could be pushed further in order to develop a design in which embeds my ethics further.


 The sentiment behind the book and door are very much the same, as they depict my ethics like being an 'open door' or 'open book'. I really like this idea as it sugguests that my ethics are open to change if I were inspired by others, or if certain companies altered their morals to coincide with mine. I feel these factors important within the ever changing world of design.






I really like the concept behind this idea as I feel that it promotes myself as an ethical designer, this being further embedded by my own personal illustration. Colour was explored in multiple ways, but I personally feel that the black and white variations appeared much more impactive.


The sentiment of the 'open door' was explored further, with me correlating multiple approaches. I felt that the illustration styled designs appeared much more personal, and as the ethics are unique to myself I find this suiting. 
When taking my ideas to the critique it was suggested that the open door and lightbulb designs worked most effectively due to their hand rendered approach. Colour was also discussed and it was suggested that a black and white approach would mimic a personal drawing more effectively. 
When deciding behind the two designs I decided to choose between the concepts as the design would be displaying my book of ethics. Due tot this I personally felt that the door had the stronger concept. I involved type within the design again in a Helvetic format due to its simplistic nature. During the following stage I will develop my own screenprinted cover which I will then book bind with my digital pages.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment