Sunday 7 May 2017

How primary and secondary research can effect a design

This year I have uncovered how important primary research is to constructing a design as it allows for a real life influence towards the design.

A key example of this is that I have interviewed individuals who were willing to discuss the effects that heart diseases has had on their lives for 505. I believe that gaining such information has allowed myself to develop a design in which would personally connect to them, the target audience. These individuals were also asked for feedback upon my final product whereby I could get an actual insight into how effective the product is for the problem.

Primary research has also been highly relevant throughout other briefs with exhibitions frequently giving design inspiration for set briefs. An example of this is how the play it loud exhibition aided my 505 studio brief one poster.

By gaining inspirations for exhibitions/books this allows myself an advantage as I am opening myself to more design then that is available online and pinterest. Although when completing digital based research I have now found myself looking on behance for inspiration as this platform is filled with a vast range of strong, innovative design.

Surveys have also been a key influence in my design this year, as I did not complete these within my first year of my degree. They allow for a greater insight and statistical view of questions, in turn promoting a more accurate design.


When thinking about other ways to complete primary research a list has been developed for that of methods in which I wish to explore within third year, this can be seen below.


  • Observational (looking how others interact with design)
  • Test marketing
  • focus groups 
  • interview 

I believe that exploring with these research skills will allow myself a stronger body of resarch for future projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment